the absurd observers

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Criticism of The Jaker

Link

Today marks the beginning of a new feature that will appear semi-regularly on TAO: "Criticism of The Jaker". As a regular reader of The Jaker, I find it entertaining and informative. However, some of the author's semi-crackpot ideas should not survive without comment.



Today TJ proposes that some Democrats from Bush's past need to come out of the woodwork and rat on the President for doing drugs as a youth. I'm no Bush fan myself, but I find this proposal repellent. Why? Because I am a fan of the movie "Scent of a Woman."



Let me explain.



Surely, if Col. Slade was willing to take a flame thrower to a prep school for encouraging Charlie to rat on his classmates over something trivial, Slade would be against the smear campaigns used by politicians. Granted, Slade was not the model of morality - what with the drinking, soliciting prostitutes, and general foul mouthedness - but he defended Charlie because Charlie integrity couldn't be bought by a free ride to harvard. Slade would probably hate the people seeking notoriety over something as vile to the old school ethos as tattling. If I thought the drug use was relevant, then it would be a whole different ballgame, but I don't, so I disagree with the proposition and listen to the Col. He said: "I'm just gettin' warmed up. Now I don't know who went to this place--William Howard Taft, William Jennings Bryant, William Tell--whoever. Their spirit is dead; if they ever had one, it's gone. You're building a rat ship here. A vessel for sea going snitches."

3 Comments:

  • supposedly the first time you know your blog has made it is when there's a regular column somewhere else calling you a dumbass. so i for one salute this new feature.

    perhaps I should change the blog's focus entirely and start railing against you loathesome "trial lawyers" with your armani suits and egyptian cotton bed sheets (that's you seth).

    By Blogger CB, at 11:04 AM  

  • I said semi-regularly and I said semi-crackpot, so I guess you've only semi-semi-made it, as that someone said. I believe that means you've only quarter-made it.

    By Blogger Dan J, at 11:19 AM  

  • If I recall correctly CB, you spent an insane amount of money on bedsheets yourself.

    By Blogger Seth Y, at 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home